Local News Via KWWL

Search WD Westerner

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

New Additions to the Bobcat Family


New Additions to the Bobcat Family: Mrs. Waterman

 

PHOTOGRAPH BY KAITLYN SOLA

INTERVIEW BY SARA MCAULIFFE

 

Are you enjoying being a Bobcat thus far? Yes, I love it.

Why did you decide to come to our school? I wanted to be a mom and a teacher at the same time!

How do you think the choirs are doing this year? They are doing really well; I am overly impressed with all the talent and dedication.

What made you want to become a choir teacher? When I was pre-chiropractic, I found myself sitting around a piano or singing at weddings to fulfill my soul.

What is your favorite song the choirs are singing this year? I can’t choose; I love all the songs and choirs equally.

How is the Aristocats choir doing so far? Aristocats has been a lot of fun, and they have the desire to be great, which I adore.

How do you think the Aristocats and concert choir will do? I think we shall do well, and we will have a lot of improvement vocally and with the choreography by the time competitions come.

What do you teach? I teach treble choir, Aristocats, voice lessons, and kindergarten at Farley.

 

 

 

An Interview with Ms. Digmann

PHOTOGRAPH BY KAITLYN SOLA

INTERVIEW BY MARCUS INGLES

 

 

Why did you decide to become a teacher?  I enjoyed working with kids in sports camps and enjoyed communicating with people.

What made you choose WD?  I was informed by a family member about the opening, and it was close to home.

How do you like your experience so far?  I’m really enjoying all the staff and students; it is really a great experience so far.

How much schooling do you have?  I have my high school diploma and five years at the University of Iowa.

Where else have you taught?  I was a long-term sub at Cedar Rapids Kennedy, and I also got the opportunity to student teach over in New Zealand.

Are you furthering your education?  I am working to get all my social studies endorsements.

Are you helping with any after-school activities?  I am coaching eighth grade volleyball at Drexler Middle School, and I am hoping to get more involved as the year goes on.

What do you like to do in your free time?  I like to read, work out., watch movies, and sports. 

 

 

 

Welcome, Ms. Rose!

PHOTOGRAPH BY KAITLYN SOLA

INTERVIEW BY JOHNNY MOLONY

 

What classes do you teach here at Western Dubuque? I teach Intro to Business, Computer Applications, Personal Finance, Business Law, and Economics.

How are you liking things at Western Dubuque? I am loving it!

What activities or groups are you a part of, and what do you plan to do with these groups? I’m one of the co-sponsors of FBLA, and we are working on the blood drive in spring, the state competition, amusing fundraisers, and advancing to Nationals this summer in Anaheim, California.

Where did you go to college? St. Ambrose University.

Have you always lived  in Iowa? Yes, Donohue is my hometown.

What are three facts people would be surprised to know about you? I’m a sports fanatic and a big Hawkeye fan! I was a Kosama instructor in Davenport. Kosama is an eight-week workout plan that works to reduce fat and build lean muscles through strength training, aerobic stretching and polymeric exercise such as kickboxing. I’ve also been to five countries in Europe.

 

Stop Here and Meet Mr. McLaughlin

 

PHOTOGRAPH BY KAITLYN SOLA

INTERVIEW  BY MEGAN KEMP

How long have you been teaching?  I taught in Algona from 1973 to 1979. I became a Chevrolet car dealer that year. In 2005, I started Autowise Driver Education.

What classes do you teach?  I teach Introduction to Technology, Manufacturing 1, Manufacturing 3, Fundamentals of Manufacturing, and Autowise Driver Education.

What do you like about teaching at Western Dubuque High School?  The students are really great. It’s really fun seeing kids learn new things.

What town do you live in?  Cascade, Iowa.

What are some of your hobbies?  I love to ride motorcycles. I like picnics and hiking. I really love stargazing; I even own a telescope! It’s so cool looking at all the constellations. I’m a big fan of college and high school football. My favorite college team is the Hawkeyes. I also enjoy woodworking. I build grandfather clocks, cradles, toy boxes, and baby beds for my family.

What is your favorite color?  Red.

What is your worst fear?  I don’t really have a fear. In the past, everyday has been a challenge, and I’ve had to rally up to the challenge. Everyone should accomplish goals, but they need to challenge themselves.

If you could live on any planet, which one would you live on?  I would love to travel the whole universe, but if had to pick just one it would have to be Mars. Right now, we are really close to being able to walk on Mars. I think it would really cool to experience, and I’m a big Trekkie.

 

 

¡Hola Senora Olivera!

PHOTOGRAPH BY KAITLYN SOLA

BY OLIVIA NAUMAN

 

Recently, I had the opportunity to meet with one of our new teachers, Ms. Olivera, to get to know her a bit better. Olivera is a freshman and sophomore Spanish teacher here at Western Dubuque High School. Before teaching here, she taught at Lady of Guadalupe, a Spanish-American school. Originally, she was born in Argentina and moved to Spain at the age of 4. Ms. Olivera worked as an architect for five years before becoming a teacher. She attended University of Granada in Spain. When asked what she enjoyed most about teaching at WD, she happily said, “The fun students!”

 

 

 

An Interview with Mr. Rolwes

 

PHOTOGRAPH BY KAITLYN SOLA

INTERVIEW BY MEGAN SAMSON

 

What classes do you teach?  Accounting 1 and 2, Entrepreneurship, and Personal Finance.

Where did you graduate from?  Western Dubuque High School and Simpson College .

What made you want to become a teacher?  I enjoy working with kids and watching them progress throughout their time in High School.

What are you most excited about teaching at WD?  It is fun to be back and see things from the staff’s point of view.

What are your plans for FBLA?  This first year my plan is to learn as much as I can about FBLA and try to keep the membership number up. I think last year they had around 100 members, so I hope we can have that many kids involved again this year.

How tall are you?  6’3”.

Did you play sports in high school? Yes, cross country, basketball, baseball, and tennis.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? Hang out with friends and family.

What is your favorite NFL team? Packers.

Which class is your favorite to teach? Accounting or Entrepreneurship.

 






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment